2013 THUNDER LIGHT RULES
The objective of this division is to provide an opportunity for youth to try their hand at "Stock Car Racing" in an affordable, "Fun", learning type environment. Efforts to "Bend" these rules or stray from the objectives of this division will not be tolerated. It is impossible for these rules to provide for every situation that may occur; therefore track management is given the right, at its sole discretion, to make any changes it deems necessary, following the intent of the division, to ensure better or more equal competition. Always remember – this is intended to be a "FUN" class for youth drivers!
"IF IT DOESN’T SAY YOU CAN – DON’T DO IT!"
ELIGIBILITY: A) All drivers must be age 12-15 years old (If an active driver turns 16 after July 15 they will be allowed to finish out that season in Thunder Lights)
B) Before entering any competition or entering Hudson Pit Area all competitors or crewmembers (Under 16) must have a Hudson Speedway Thunder Light License. License requirements include a notarized COMPLETE application and minor release from EACH parent plus a $25 license application fee.
C) Any Thunder Light competitor entering pit area must have license visible at all times.
D) License is non-transferable. Mis-use of license is cause for revocation.
E) Duplicate license fee is $20.
A). Manufacturer model years 1985-1997,B). Four cylinder, four passenger production cars onlyC) NO convertibles, 2 passenger, 2 plus 2, or car-trucks allowed D) NO Honda, Porsche, Saab or Mazda RX-7 allowed E). NO four-wheel drives allowed.
2) Must be stock wheelbase (Max. 100.4") for make, model & year; both sides must match with ¼".
3) NO interchanging of engine, engine parts, chassis, driveline components or body panels between any models or manufacturers.
4) Any part that has an altered, illegible or removed part number will be considered to be not stock.
5) NO mirrors and NO radios allowed.
1) All cars must have COMPLETE body as from manufacturer with NO alterations to any body panels; must maintain stock dimensions and location.
2) Aftermarket rubberized nosepiece (Air Dam Only) is allowed; rear spoiler and body side skirting is allowed.
3) Doors must be neatly and securely welded shut; hood must be secured with positive pull pin fasteners.
4) Full front windshield or full Lexan replacement is required; No other Glass or Lexan side or rear windows allowed.
5) Must have stock front and rear bumpers in stock locations; ends must be rolled in to prevent cutting tires..
6) Must use completely stock suspension for make, model & year; wheel camber may be increased.
7) Four posted roll cage is required with four door bars and adequate cross bracing; all corners must be properly gusseted. Minimum 1.75" dia. X .095" wall seamless tubing; NO bars longer than 18" may pass through front firewall from roll cage. NO offset cages; must be centered on frame with same construction on both sides.
8) All rub rails must be flush mounted to body panels with NO sharp ends or edges. Maximum 1" diameter.
1) Must be completely stock O.E.M. four cylinder engine and drivetrain as came in that make, year and model car; entire engine and all related components must be stock for make, year and model; NO interchanging allowed.
2) Maximum 2.5 liter displacement; stock single carburetor or fuel injection is required; (Must be stock on that model and engine, NO adapters allowed). NO V-4, rotary or air-cooled engines allowed. Maximum two valves per cylinder only; NO turbochargers allowed.
3) ALL locations must be stock.
4) All cars must have stock starter in working order and in stock location.
5) Oil pressure shut-off switch is required for cars with electric fuel pump.
6) A minimum one-quart radiator overflow tank, located in engine compartment is required.
7) Approved muffler and exhaust system is required. NO hollowed out mufflers.
1) Automatic or standard transmission is allowed; must have working reverse; standard transmission must use stock flywheel and clutch.
TIRES & WHEELS:
1) Wheels must be STOCK, steel, maximum 6" wide and bolt to stock hubs. Maximum wheel offset is 2" (two inches), measured from outside of wheel. All four wheels must be same size and offset. NO spacers or adapter plates allowed.
2) Only tires permitted are standard, passenger car radial tires rated for highway use. Minimum tread wear number must be at least 140, 65 or 70 series ONLY. Maximum width is 205 series. All four tires must be same size and series. NO tire softeners allowed. NO asymmetrical tread design or racing tires allowed. NO retread or recapped tires allowed.
1) All cars must weigh a minimum of 1200 pounds right side weight, with driver strapped in, immediately after feature. NO allowances.
2) Any added weight must be securely bolted to frame with minimum 3/8" bolt.
3) Additional 50 pounds right side weight will be added after (two) feature wins. Each additional win after two will add an additional 30 pounds right side weight.
Thunder Light 2
All cars must have four-wheel hydraulic brakes in good working order. Brake rotors must be ferrous alloy only.
Center of steering wheel must be padded. Any part of roll cage within drivers reach must be padded.
Stock front firewall is required. A firewall of steel, not less than 22 gauge, must be installed between the driver’s compartment and fuel cell area. Full steel floor is required within driver’s compartment. No unnecessary holes permitted.
A metal chain or strap is required under the forward 1/3 of driveshaft. Driveshaft must be painted white.
Fuel tank must be securely mounted inside trunk area with a minimum of two steel straps, 1/8" x 1". Minimum ground clearance of 8" is required. Maximum size allowed is eight gallons. Boat tank or fuel cell is highly recommended. Fuel cell vent line must have a check valve.
Battery must be completely enclosed in an approved safety box. Battery must be located outside drivers compartment.
Approved racing type seat and four point harness properly mounted to roll cage is required. Crotch belt is recommended. All belts must be in good condition, minimum three inch width and must be maximum three years old.
An approved window net, properly installed in the left front window opening, with quick release mounting, is required.
All cars must have an ignition kill switch and fire extinguisher located within reach of the driver when strapped in.
Approved driving suit, gloves, shoes and helmet are recommended.
All cars must have a hook or means of quickly lifting car from either front or rear.
POST SEASON AWARDS In order to be eligible for any post season awards, driver must compete in a minimum of 75% of events run and be present at banquet for wards presentations.
Alcoholic beverages & illegal drugs or substances are prohibited from Hudson Speedway property or in any area, including parking lots, that is to be considered to be publicly used for operation of speedway facilities. By definition illegal drugs are such as covered by state and federal law.
Any participant, driver, car owner, mechanic, crew member, sponsor, track official or spectator at Hudson Speedway or at any affiliated event sanctioned by Bob Webber Racing, Inc. found to be in possession or under the influence of any illegal, non-prescribed drug will be suspended from competition and evicted from the premises.
All participants in all divisions of competition are considered to be a public figure and by choice have become involved with auto racing and events at Hudson Speedway fully understanding that he or she must abide by the rules and regulations of its owners and management. Any Participant therefore is responsible for his or her personal conduct involving drugs or alcohol.
Non-prescribed drugs are considered to be those not authorized by a state licensed pharmacist. Any prescribed drug being used by a participant must be reported to the chief steward prior to any competition or pit area related activity by that person.
Any person that is formally charged by a court of law for an illegal drug violation, shall be indefinitely suspended from any and all forms of competition at Hudson Speedway or its affiliated events until such time as the charges are fully adjucated by the judicial process. Any participant convicted of a former drug charge in a court of law will no longer be allowed to compete in any event at Hudson Speedway, or any affiliated event, for a minimum period of one year from the date of conviction.
Any participant suspended for illegal drug reasons, as specified in the rules of this policy, will be granted an appeal within 14 days of the suspension only if the suspended participant files a request in writing with speedway officials or owners. Should this procedure be exercised, a hearing will be scheduled to review all matters concerning such suspension.
A participant suspended for illegal drug reasons as specified in this policy, may apply for re-admission to competition after serving such suspension, and if it is mutually agreed that the participant, at his or her own expense, will produce documentation by a licensed physician with the state of New Hampshire that he or she is drug free during random examinations and urinalysis tests upon the request of speedway management.
ACCIDENTS OR INJURIES
IMPORTANT - Any person injured on Hudson Speedway property must report claim immediately to race director or chief steward to assure that proper paperwork for insurance coverage can be filled.
NO CLAIMS WILL BE CONSIDERED UNLESS REPORTED PRIOR TO LEAVING SPEEDWAY ON DAY OF CLAIM
Any driver competing in the Thunder Lights at Hudson Speedway must hold a current Thunder Lights license.
Interpretation of these rules is solely at the discretion of Hudson Speedway officials. Hudson Speedway reserves the right to make changes, additions, or deletions to these rules and specifications without prior notice.
Liquor or drugs on Hudson Speedway property, fighting or harassment of a track official by any car owner, driver, or crew member will be basis for suspension of car and/or crew as track officials deem necessary.