Pickled Jalapenos (Escabeche) Recipe
Arlena and Steve
* 1 lb jalapeño peppers
* 1/3 cup olive oil
* 2-3 medium white or yellow onions, thickly sliced
* 2-3 medium carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
* 1 head garlic, cloves separated
* 4 cups apple cider vinegar
* 2 Tbsp Kosher salt or sea salt
* 2 bay leaves
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 4 sprigs of fresh marjoram or 1/4 teaspoon dried
* 4 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
* 1 Tbsp sugar
1 Wash the chiles, leaving the stems intact. Cut a cross in the tip end of each chile so that the vinegar will be able to penetrate the chile.
2 Heat oil in a large, deep skillet. Add the chiles, onions, carrots, cauliflower if using, and garlic. Fry over medium heat for about 10 minutes, turning them over occasionally.
3 Add the vinegar, salt, herbs, and sugar and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes for serranos or 10 minutes for jalapeños. Make sure the chiles are entirely cooked through before canning.
4 Pack 4 pint-sized sterilized jars with the chiles and vegetables. Top with the vinegar and seal.