NWA Apologetics Workshop – May 29-30 (Friday – Saturday)
Friday evening (5:30–8:30pm): Rogers Community College auditorium (Open to the public - MAP below)
- Introduction: Welcome! (Will be presented assuming combination believer/skeptic audience)
- James: Intro: What is apologetics and Creation Science and why does it matter? Introduce our speakers for the weekend.
- Russell Humphreys: Creation and Cosmology – and overview of where creation science was in the 20th century and where it is today in astronomy/cosmology. (Focus on time-dilation from his work in Starlight and Time and how it has developed up through today)
- John Baumgardner: Creation and Geology – and overview of where creation science was in the 20th century and where it is today in in Geology. (Focus on Catastrophic Plate Tectonics and how he has molded this concept since 1986)
- Q/A & open-forum time: as well as products for sale (donation-based). The above will be a more formalized presentation assuming a diverse audience including skeptics and unbelievers. Packets will include information about both speakers, Why Creation Science, Christian Apologetics 101 book, and 2-papers from each speaker as well as biographies will be in each attendee’s folders.
Saturday afternoon (Noon-4pm): Rogers Church Mosaic has graciously offered “The Lodge” for us to work with Humphreys/Baumgardner workshop-style there and invite young and old alike to learn about Creation Science and why we can have confidence in the truth of Scripture. (https://www.fellowshipnwa.org/mosaic/about-us)
- Introduction: Welcome! (Light refreshments will be provided as well as a folder/packet with papers from our two speakers, DVDs, and a ton of goodies for all!)
- James: Quick introduction and summary of last nights talks for those who couldn’t make it and then two informal presentations by both speakers and then we’ll have the speakers talk to a Christian/pro-Creationist audience whereas Friday was to a neutral one.
- Russell Humphreys/John Baumgardner: Creationism and Cosmology/Geology – A quick overview with an emphasis on why Creation Science is important and a must for the Church. What advice they can offer to fellow Creationists from their 40 years (each) experience and a detailed walkthrough of cosmology/geology with teaching points on easy communication to others for building a Creation-base anywhere you go.
- Q/A time: as well as possible break-out session with those wanting to spend more time with either or both speakers to spend more “one-on-one” time with them to ask any questions, gain greater insight, just to make it much more personalized (coffee/snacks served). Very informal and trying to get the church to take 1 Peter 3:15 more seriously.
Saturday Evening: Option 1: Finish the evening with a trip to the Great Passion Play! (www.greatpassionplay.org) The Play partnered with me in 2015 and allowed me to setup a small Creation/History Museum there where we average 6,000 visitors per year. We should get to Passion Play approximately 5:30pm which will give us a chance to walk thru the museums, eat at the play. The Play starts at 8:30pm as it is the largest outdoor play in America.
Option 2: Worship at MOSAIC starts at 5pm.
FRIDAY MAY 29th: 5:30pm – 8pm
– Free refreshments, literature/videos and plenty of Q&A time –
Directions to NWACC (Community College) for Friday evening’s event:
Center for Health Professions (#21 above) – The Oak Room (room 315) is located on the third floor of the Center for Health Professions building and provides classroom and theatre settings for group gatherings, meetings and breakout sessions. (www.NWACC.edu)
Address: 1 College Dr, Bentonville, AR 72712 (see above map)
Call if you need any assistance at all: 479-616-4520 or ask anyone at the front desk of the college for directions. Meet and greet 5:30-6pm with introductions starting promptly at 6pm.
SATURDAY MAY 30th: 12pm – 4pm
– Food, literature/videos and a once in a lifetime opportunity to learn firsthand from Dr. Humphreys & Baumgardner –
Directions to Fellowship’s Campus (@ LODGE) for our afternoon event:
Fellowship Church Campus – 1051 W Pleasant Grove Rd, Rogers, AR 72758
As you can see above by the big YELLOW arrow, the Lodge is located through the parking lot toward the back of the campus from Pleasant Grove Rd.
Church Office: 479-659-8884 or James’ Cell: 479-616-4520
Please contact us for a speaking engagement or just helping your study-group or church setup with a ton of FREE materials on keeping your youth engaged and having reasons "for" the truths of Christianity in 2019. We only exist to help equip individuals, groups or churches for knowing why Christianity is true and to glorify Him. (1 Peter 3:15)
*As Gary Habermas recently stated: "We have more evidence for Christianity being true than ever before but the church and its members simply don't realize this."
"Why should I care?" (Apathy) - Just watch/listen to this short video and I think you will better understand the importance therein. Second video: The Church in "Intellectual Neutral" summarizes itself. :o)
Christians have the truth so there is nothing to be afraid of but we also cannot bury our heads in the sand. Nearly 2/3 of teens today lose their faith when they go to college simply because they were NOT prepared when they left the house. This simple website is not meant to be a complete set of all answers to your questions but as a starting point. I did not grow up going to church but after finishing degrees in philosophy of religion and a masters in ancient history, with my published Masters thesis The Philosophy of History, I have debated these topics with a plethora of different PhDs, atheists groups, etc. and after all of this I am more convinced than ever that Christianity is true and provides objective meaning to our lives and existence. After living in New York City for some time, my wife and I returned to the mid-west and now run a coffee-shop/Art Gallery as well as a Creation History museum (along with my work with Logos Research Associates) simply in the hopes of sharing some of these truths.
*Some topics (like mechanisms for a global flood) I find competing views equally plausible, so I have included both my colleagues' work on Catastrophic plate tectonics as well as somewhat differing views by Walt Brown because my goal is to encouraging "critical thinking" as well as a pointing to the truth of what CS Lewis coined "Mere Christianity", not to be dogmatic about one specific set of details on a given topic.
**Please email me for a FREE copy of my published works or get it for less than $1.99 at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072N4JGV8/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0 OR get my simplified version for $0.99 cents (or contact me and I'll send you one for FREE): https://www.amazon.com/Mere-Christian-Apologetics-Bible-Simple/dp/1544288662
How to utilize this site and the pages to the left:
- First - you will find "Faith Under Fire" videos which show quick snipits between a Christian and a non-Christian debating (only about 10 minutes each) to help you understand the challenges that will be thrown at you and your children in a growingly hostile world. *These videos will introduce you and your students/children to some of the various attacks against Christianity, God and the Bible and show why these attacks are weak and mostly without any warrant at all.
- Secondly - you will find various headings on the tabs to the left such as "Does God Exist", "Philosophy and God", "Evolution and God", etc. that will give you some basic information, videos, etc. to better understand these concepts; as well as being able to articulate them to your students. (Keep in mind that these concepts at a basic level are quite easy to understand so do not worry if there are some areas that you better understand than others and know that I am always only an email away as needed for any help I may offer.)
- Thirdly - I have several "Debates/Dialogues" setup simply because this is the "real-world" we live in and we MUST equip our children (and ourselves) to better face a hostile world; we have the truth so what do we have to fear? (This coming from someone who has debated many various groups on the topics)
- Lastly - I have a few areas for those of you who are wishing for more "academic freedom" within the public sphere for your children. Though public education is becoming increasingly hostile to theism, if we equip our children appropriately as well as debate/reach-out in a loving way to our school officials we may still be able to turn the helm of public education before it finally crashes in a sea of relativism...
While no website or group can be everything to everyone, we do have over 50 experts in the field at Logos Research Associates so if I (James) can't answer let's say questions you have on some geological aspect of Noah's Flood, we have almost a dozen PhD geologists that we can reach out to, setup a conference, etc. on the truths of Noah's Flood, so keep in mind that while we all may have subtle differences we all attest to the truth of Christianity and are here to serve.
*The secular/naturalistic side should be equally concerned about the dumbing-down effect that secularism (especially naturalism) has had on public school education and the university, as well as overall IQ levels ever since the so-called Flynn-effect has more than doubled the reversal rate from the late 1960s thru today.
Please let me know if you have any questions at all:
More technical MA thesis (above) or abbreviated version (below): Both for a $1 on Amazon eBook or I will send you a FREE copy:
***Also - we have a Biblical History museum that is open free of charge to the public that provides a ton of real-life examples from Genesis, a global flood, cosmology, old/new testament accuracy, and more. (See Museum page to the left for more detail and I will be more than happy to open up the museum for any groups or individuals who want to use it with a group of friends, skeptics, students, etc. *Also please remember that we are in partnership with the Great Passion Play so not only do we have our Museum there, but we have a top of the line Bible Museum (with first editions of all the major bibles), an incredible Art museum (with pieces dating back to the 9th century), Holy Land tour (with life-size tabernacle, 1st century mock village, and more) as well as the Play itself and much much more!!! (We are here for you: www.NWABibleMuseum.org)